February 11

Artex Asbestos Exposure

0  comments

Artex is a popular textured surface coating used on ceilings and walls of commercial and residential buildings. This product contains asbestos and people become concerned when they hear that asbestos is present on the ceilings of their very home. It’s normal to worry about asbestos in your home because the substance is linked to numerous respiratory conditions including mesothelioma and lung cancer. The good news is Artex isn’t a threat to your health provided the surface coatings on the ceiling or walls of your home are left undamaged. This article provides information on asbestos exposure due to Artex.

Asbestos was a popular building material in the past because it was strong, durable, and affordable. The material was used in hundreds of building products including Artex before the substance was banned in 1999. Artex was a popular surface coating used in almost all residential and commercial buildings in the 1960s. Artex has been used in building construction until the end of the 1990s. If your house was constructed before the 1990s, it may contain asbestos fibres. But there is no way to tell if your home contains asbestos fibres unless you test a sample of the surface coating of the ceiling.

While most Artex products contain asbestos, asbestos-free Artex products are also available on the market. A useful rule of thumb is that any Artex product installed before asbestos was banned should be assumed to contain asbestos fibres. The best way to find out is to test a sample of coating of the ceiling in your home. Artex products contain white asbestos or chrysotile which was banned in the United Kingdom in 1999. In fact, 3-5% of chrysotile was added to Artex products until around 1984. Statistics show that Artex products contained small quantities of asbestos fibres even in 2008. Usually, these fibres are well secure within the product and could be released only when the old coating is scraped off or sanded down.

Just because you have Artex in your home or commercial building, you are not at risk of exposure to asbestos fibres. The fibres are well bonded and won’t release until the ceiling or wall is disturbed or damaged. Unless Artex is heavily degraded, you are not at risk. Artex becomes a problem in your home when the fibres become airborne and you or someone in your family inhales the fibres. The most important thing is to let the contractor know that your home has asbestos-containing materials when remodelling or upgrading your home. Removing textured coatings such as Artex could be performed by a non-licensed contractor. But he should be highly trained for this type of work. Carrying out a risk assessment is essential before engaging in such a project.

If you home contain Artex surface coatings, you might be worried about being exposed to asbestos fibres. If so, you should know that Artex is fine on the ceiling or walls of your home provided they are not damaged. The aforementioned article provides information on asbestos exposure due to Artex.

For more information visit https://precisionasbestosremoval.co.uk


Tags


You may also like

Asbestos Found In Columns

What Type Of Asbestos Can Be Found In Partition Walls

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}